The Pride of Investing in Others


I love to invest in others.  There's a certain joy in seeing someone grow because of the investment I've made in them.  Recently, I was angry because I couldn't invest in young leaders.  I thought I needed to start a ministry college or even a Master's Commission.

As I looked at our church situation, the budget, and my time commitments, I realized that this probably is not the right time.  I went to God and began to whine. I complained that the opportunity didn't exist. That the students won't come, and that I can't use this desire He placed in my heart.  Then, he bopped me upside my head.

I do have people, leaders, in my ministry right now that I am neglecting.  I've given them some ministry opportunities.  I've trusted them to handle certain elements of the service, but I never really challenged them.

God told me to look around and be faithful with what I have.

At the end of the Parable of the Talents in Matthew 25, the Master tells his servant "Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things." Matthew 25:23

I was not being faithful with the little things, and God was not going to give me big things.  So I humbled myself, overcame my fears, and started to trust the people in my ministry.  I started to invest more in my leadership team and teenagers, and it's been great so far.

This week filled me with pride for those I have invested in.  First, one of my teenagers has a real gift for communicating to children.  He has been working with me for a year now, and the kids love him.  A couple of weeks ago, he was supposed to lead a prayer after a salvation message.  He set it up perfectly and then handed it off to me.  When I asked him what happened, he said he was scared and didn't know if he had permission.

This week was his next chance. I coached him before his presentation and told him I had confidence in him.  For his first altar call, he did great!  We had 8 children come to Christ after his presentation of the Gospel.  I was incredibly proud.

The next day, I had the privilege of taking two of my key leaders on a short, one day conference in a nearby town.  In the past, I would just go to something like this and then share the information with them, but I knew that this was not enough.

During the conference, they got really excited about their ministries.  They were full of ideas and pointing things out from a completely different perspective.  I never dreamed it would turn out this way.  Again, I was proud.

I'm still very early in this process, and I know many challenges lay ahead.  Nevertheless, I am encouraged by their first fruits.

So I challenge you, are you being faithful with what God has given you?  Are you hoarding ministry or are you training others to do the work?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Volunteer Statements for Your Ministry

When You Feel Like It's Time to Go and What to Do About It

5 Things I Learned Switching from Group VBS to Orange VBS