How to Start Fasting

Royalty-free Image: Teenaged girl looking at empty plate

Fasting.  It's hard.  Let's face it, we know that it is something we should be doing.  We know that Jesus fasted. He did a marathon fast of 40 days and nights with no food or water!

Nevertheless, I think most of us are scared.

"What if I get hungry?  Will I be able to think straight? Will I be undernourished?  I have to fast for how long?  I can't eat what?"

We come up with a million excuses.

"I have too much to do today to fast. But I'm really hungry. I have no will power.  I can't lie to the people around me.  I don't have a place to do it.  I just don't see the need."

How do I know all this?  I've said it all to myself.  It's a hard discipline, but a wise man once said, "if it's not hard, then is it worth doing?"  Or as it says in Hebrews 12:11 "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it."

Fasting is shown all throughout scripture to have powerful effects.  It gives us courage, like Esther who fasted for 3 days before she went to see the king.  It gives us wisdom, as it did Nehemiah when he started to rebuild the wall in Jerusalem.  It gives us power to do miracles as Jesus said when he cast out a demon "This can only come out with fasting and prayer"  Most of all fasting brings us closer to God.  We are denying our earthly desires to spend time with Him.

So here are some tips to start the discipline of fasting:

1.  Start small: A lot of times when we think about fasting, we have no idea how long we should fast.  A day, a week, 40 days!!?  It's easy to become overwhelmed, but, just as with anything else, it is better to start small.  Try fasting a meal a week. I usually fast lunch.  Breakfast and dinner are spent with my family, and I don't want to lose my time with them by not partaking.

2. Decide what you will fast: Traditionally a fast implies not eating or drinking, but it can mean many other things.  You could fast from media, certain types of food (like the Daniel Diet), hobbies, speaking,,, whatever it is make sure that it is something realistic and still a sacrifice.  (If I choose to fast from scrapbooking, I'm not really doing anything since I don't scrapbook.)  I usually fast from food for short term fasts and drink only water.  This makes sure I stay hydrated and breaks up the hunger pains.  For longer term fasts I will drink only 100% juice or the Daniel Diet, which is essentially no meat, no wheat, and no sweets.

3. Pick a time and a place:  Look at your schedule and pick a time and a place that is best for you.  I can't realistically fast on Tuesdays because I have a standing lunch with my fellow coworkers, but what about the rest of the week?  You know your week and what is coming up, so pick a time and stick to it.  Also look for a place that you can go to fast.  When I worked for a retail company, I couldn't easily leave the campus, so I would sit in my car.  Now I find a park or someplace secluded where I can eliminate as many distractions as possible.

4. Be honest to those around you:  When I first started fasting, my wife would send with me lunch.  I would tell her that I didn't want it or accidentally on purpose forget it at home.  After a couple of weeks, I realized I didn't want to be dishonest anymore.  What was holding me back was a story from the Bible.  Jesus rebuked some pharisees for fasting and making a spectacle of themselves by moaning and painting their faces white.  He said that they had already received their reward.  After praying (and fasting) about it, I realized the intent of this passage.  Jesus didn't say don't tell anyone, he said don't advertise it. If you are telling someone that you are fasting so that they think you are some "super spiritual christian,"  then I would check my motives.  However in the case of my wife, I had to tell her so that I didn't sin by lying to her about eating.

5. Keep doing it:  It won't be a discipline if you only do it one time.  We have to do it so much that it becomes a habit.  My first real time fasting, I just sat in my truck and almost fell asleep.  I had no idea what to do.  Now I spend my time praying, reading the Bible, journaling, and meditating,  The results are well worth the pain, inconvenience, and discomfort.

Do you fast?  Have you tried to fast but failed miserably?  Maybe you should try again?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Volunteer Statements for Your Ministry

When You Feel Like It's Time to Go and What to Do About It

5 Things I Learned Switching from Group VBS to Orange VBS