75 Questions to Ask Before You Start Your Ministry Job

Photo by Medienstürmer on Unsplash

Starting a new ministry position can be scary. We don’t know what the future holds or what to expect. We’re filled with enthusiasm and passion for the next chapter, but a lot of times we go in blind. I've been there.  It's never fun to be surprised when things happen we don’t expect. Inevitably, we fall into the comparison trap of what we did at the last church.

The best way to combat this problem is with questions. It's not unusual to ask a lot of questions during the interview process, but once you accept the position, what then?

The transitional time between when you say yes, and your first day is critical to set expectations and understand exactly what you're walking into. By asking more questions, you can make sure you mesh with the culture well and hit the ground running.

With this in mind, here are 75 questions to ask after you’ve accepted the job and before you start.
If you'd like an editable copy of these questions, download them here.  

Software/Technology Questions

  1. Will I be issued a computer?
  2. Will I be able to pick it out or will someone else?
  3. If I do pick it out how much can I spend?
  4. What software is available to do my job?
  5. What is the process for getting new software/subscription services?
  6. What technology is available in the ministry space?
  7. When was the last time it was upgraded?
  8. What is the process if/when I need to update it?

Finances

  1. How do I handle purchases for the church?
  2. Do I get a church credit card(s)?
  3. Do I have a spending limit?
  4. Is there an amount I can spend without asking for permission?
  5. Does the church have a budget?
  6. What is the budget for the ministry I’ll be overseeing?
  7. Do I have to raise that budget or is it provided out of the general fund?
  8. Is there a separate budget for outreach and other events?
  9. Is that budget raised or is it provided for?
  10. Who is responsible for creating the budget for the ministry area? Who makes the final call?

Office Life

  1. What are the staff office hours?
  2. What time do I need to arrive on workdays?
  3. Do I need to sign in/out?
  4. When do you do staff meetings?
  5. Are there other required weekly meetings?
  6. Are there annual off-site meetings?
  7. If so, are families invited?
  8. Does the staff go out to eat regularly?
  9. Will I have an office?
  10. Will I have to share my space?
  11. Am I allowed to work remotely?
  12. What is the reporting process for remote work?
  13. What is more important to you, hours on the clock or what I produce?
  14. What is the expected attire throughout the week? On Sundays?

Staff/Volunteers

  1. Who will I be working with on staff?
  2. Who will I oversee?
  3. Who will oversee me?
  4. What hours do the other staff members serve?
  5. Is there an existing volunteer team?
  6. Who has been running the ministry since the previous leader left?
  7. What is their contact information, and can I talk to them?
  8. Are the volunteers tired or ready launch?
  9. How often do most volunteers in the ministry serve?

Time Off

  1. When is the expected day off?
  2. If I would like to take a day off, what is the process?
  3. What is the vacation policy?
  4. When does the staff normally take vacation?
  5. When does the senior pastor normally take vacation?
  6. Do you have a sabbatical policy?
  7. How many Sundays do I get off in a year? Can they be consecutive?
  8. What is the process for taking vacation/personal/sick days?

Weekly Responsibilities

  1. What do you expect out of me in the first week?
  2. What other ministries do I need to serve in?
  3. Do I need to lead a group/class, or can I sit in one?
  4. What time do I need to arrive on Sunday?
  5. How do you assess my work?
  6. What is the best way to report to you?
  7. Do I need to do hospital visits/pastoral care? When and how often?
  8. Is there an “on-call” policy? What is it?
  9. Does the ministry currently use a curriculum? Which one?
  10. If I want to change the curriculum, who do I need to consult?

Yearly Responsibilities

  1. Is there a master calendar? If so, how is it maintained?
  2. What outreaches/events have been done in the past?
  3. What outreaches/events am I expected to continue?
  4. If I want to change or shut down an outreach or event how do I do that? How does that make you feel?
  5. Are there formal annual reviews? If yes, how/when are they conducted?
  6. Is there regular cost of living raises?
  7. If I need a raise what is the best way to do that?

General Questions

  1. Was my predecessor well loved?
  2. Will/have the people they had relationship with stay?
  3. What is the church assimilation/volunteer recruitment process?
  4. How long do people have to attend before they can volunteer?
  5. If there was one thing I could accomplish in the next year, what would that be?
  6. What is the mission, vision, and values of the church? Of the ministry?
  7. How long does the Senior Pastor plan to be at the church?
  8. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being never change and 5 being change now, how comfortable is the church with change?
  9. When was the last big change and how was it received?

You don’t have to ask all these questions and you may have some of your own that are specific to your context. The more information you have going in the better off you’ll be, and those first weeks and months will go so much better.

If you' like an editable copy of these questions, download them here and for more help with transitions, read my other posts here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Volunteer Statements for Your Ministry

When You Feel Like It's Time to Go and What to Do About It

5 Things I Learned Switching from Group VBS to Orange VBS