What to do When Your Lesson Flops


Tuesday was the first session of CEF (Child Evangelism Fellowship) of the new year at a local elementary school.  We are always excited to serve at the school because many of these kids don't go to church or understand basic biblical concepts, such as how you get to heaven.  

I had the privilege of teaching the lesson to the 20 or so kids.  The lesson was the story of how sin came into the world and how we can find salvation through Jesus.  It ended with a call to salvation.  I thought I was really connecting.  I thought they were connecting with the message.  They all dutifully prayed with me to accept Christ, and I encouraged them to tell their small group leader if they had really prayed.

When the leaders came back after the lesson, not a single one said they had accepted Christ for the first time. 

I could have been angry.  I could have been discouraged.  I could quit right there.  But I wasn't, and I didn't. 

Jesus had the same problem.  So much so, he told the parable of the sower and seed.  The big take away from that parable is that not everyone accepts the Gospel when they hear it.

I know I did my best to present the Gospel.  I will do it again, and again, and again. Why? Because Christ called me to make disciples.  That is what I'm going to do, no matter how hard it is.

Sometimes our lessons just flop.  We think they're going to be awesome and the kids hate it.  You put a ton of work into it, and Buddy won't put his shoes on his stinky feet instead of his hands.  

Children's Ministry is hard, but no one said it would be easier.  Rest in the knowledge that Jesus said in the same parable that the seed was accepted and they grew and the investment we put into them will grow a hundred-fold.  We don't know who is the bad soil and who is the good soil.  Our job is too simply spread the seed the best we can and trust God to take care of the rest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Volunteer Statements for Your Ministry

When You Feel Like It's Time to Go and What to Do About It

5 Things I Learned Switching from Group VBS to Orange VBS