Memorize Scripture, Eat Some Ice Cream




It's a simple formula really.

I heard a story once about a Jewish Rabbi.  On the first day of school he would pour honey on his pupils' desks and then tell the kids to lick up the honey.  As they licked it, the Rabbi would tell them that the Word of God is like honey and should be a sweet taste in your mouth.

King David says in Psalm 119:11, "I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you."

How can we get our kids to hide God's word in their hearts? I don't know about you, but some days it just seems impossible.

Over the past few years, I've challenged my kids in kid's church to memorize a certain passage of scripture, and if they do, they get to go to a local build your own frozen yogurt place on me.

Last year I challenged our kids to memorize the Lord's Prayer and over half my elementary students and a third of my preschoolers learned it.  This year we're learning the 10 Commandments.

I want the Word of God to be as sweet as bubble gum ice cream with sprinkles, chocolate syrup and gummy bears in my kids' mouth.

How about you?  What do you do to help your kids learn scripture?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Volunteer Statements for Your Ministry

When You Feel Like It's Time to Go and What to Do About It

5 Things I Learned Switching from Group VBS to Orange VBS