What I Read in 2020



This year has been crazy to say the least. As much as I love to read leadership and ministry books, I read less this year because of all the stress. I needed an escape. Since I’m a huge Star Wars fan, and we’re in the golden age of Star Wars there are a lot of great books continuing the story.

I used to have this rule that fiction doesn’t count, then I read Jon Acuff’s book Finish, and he pointed out an interesting fact. Why doesn’t it count? I’m not turning this in for a grade. There is no standard that says Fiction doesn’t count. So, I started counting it and reading became a joy again.

This year was unique for my Non-Fiction books. I joined a group called Hydrate from the Assemblies of God Children’s Ministry department. Along with training in ministry they required a book a month. Many of these I would never have picked up, but I’m glad they did. The ideas expanded my world view and challenged me to think differently about my ministry.

Here’s what I read in non-fiction this year in no particular order:

1. Love does by Bob Goff

I love Bob, and while I had his book on my shelf for years, I never read it. I decided 2020 was the year. His incredible stories and little nuggets about life and faith are unique and invaluable.

2. Multipliers by Liz Wiseman

This is one of those books I never would have picked up, but I found to be very thought provoking. It’s a study on leaders who help their teams grow and accomplish more than they thought possible. I’m still working on some ideas to implement in my own leadership.

3. Whisper by Mark Batterson

I’ve read The Circle Maker by Batterson every year for several years and while the content is great, I was ready for something new. Whisper could be called the sequel to the Circle Maker and teaches the 5 ways God speaks to us. I love this book and needed it throughout this year. 

4. Faith for Exiles by David Kinnaman and Mark Matlock

The third in Barna’s millennial studies, Kinnaman takes a happier tone and looks at those of the millennial generation who didn’t turn on their faith, but rather came out stronger. If you’re in ministry and want to help your students to maintain their faith, this book is invaluable.

5. Culture Code by Daniel Coyle

This modern-day business classic gives you all the tools to build a great culture and take your team to the next level.

6. 9 Disciplines of Enduring Leadership

I’ll be honest, I’m not a huge fan of Kent Ingle’s writing. Mostly because his writing is for entry level leaders, which makes sense because he’s the president of Southeastern University. Most of his readers, I would guess, are fresh out of college. Having been in ministry for 12 years, I didn’t find any new ideas, but would have really enjoyed it when I was just starting out.

7. Help! I'm in Charge by Rod Loy

Rod Loy is the senior pastor at First Assembly North Little Rock Arkansas. He’s led his church to grow into the thousands. In this book, he gives valuable advice to leaders new and old on how to navigate the dangers and pitfalls of leading in ministry and life.

8. A Practical Guide to Culture by John Stonestreet and Brett Kunkle

Unlike the Culture Code, this book looks at our current culture (circa 2017) and how we as Christian leaders can interact with it. Each chapter dives deep into the biblical response to today’s issues. I particularly enjoyed the chapter on Homosexuality and responding to the problem in a loving and grace filled way.

9. Fight for Their Hearts by Kenny Dallas and Tim Sexton

I got an early release of this book, so I haven’t read the finished copy, but if you’re a dad and want to be a better father, this is a must read. Their practical advice, challenges, and personal stories will encourage you to lead better at home and create a community that of other fathers that can support each other.

10. Ministry in the Way of Jesus by David Csinos and Ivy Beckwith

Ministry gives practical researched based advice on how to lead your children’s ministry. Many ministries focus on attracting kids and having fun, but they argue that lead like Jesus, our focus should be on spiritual formation of kids both at home and at church. I didn’t agree with everything they said, however, I was challenged to intentionally reframe my children’s ministry to make spiritual formation my focus as opposed to being one of the things we do.

11. Dreaming of More for the Next Generation by Michelle Anthony

Speaking of building spiritual formation, Anthony has done it. I read her book simultaneously with Csinos and Beckwith, and greatly enjoyed her down to earth approach to ministry as she walks the reader through her journey of rebuilding her ministry from the ground up after a decade of ministry.

12. 6 Children’s Ministry Essentials by Dick Gruber

This guide is less by Gruber and more of a compilation of blogs from children’s ministry leaders all over the country. They tackle big issues in children’s ministry from volunteers, to pain and grief, and preschool ministry. It’s extremely practical and should be on any children’s pastor’s bookshelf.



For Fiction, I read all Star Wars and mostly Thrawn, who is a great character in the Star Wars books. If you’re wondering who Ahsoka was looking for in episode 5 of The Mandalorian, these are the in-cannon books to get to know him.

  1. Thrawn by Timothy Zahn
  2. Thrawn: Alliances by Timothy Zahn
  3. Thrawn: Treason by Timothy Zahn
  4. Thrawn Ascendency: Chaos Rising by Timothy Zahn
  5. Galaxy’s Edge: Black Spire by Delilah S. Dawson
  6. Master and Apprentice by Claudia Gray

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Volunteer Statements for Your Ministry

When You Feel Like It's Time to Go and What to Do About It

5 Things I Learned Switching from Group VBS to Orange VBS