5 Ways to Beat Frustration


This past week, I left work frustrated. I worked really hard on my children's ministry Facebook page throughout the week and all of 8 people saw all of my posts. 8! out of 186! I just wanted to throw in the towel.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has felt like this. You've done everything you can do and it seems like nothing helps.  So here are five ways I've found to beat frustration.


  1. Do something else for a little while.  When I got home that night, I was full of the blues, so I volunteered to go grocery shopping with my wife.  Just getting my mind of things released some of the tension. When you feel super frustrated don't keep pushing.  Take some time off and do something else.  The solution might present itself when you come back.
  2. Exercise. It's amazing what a little physical activity can do for you.  I run frequently, so the next morning, I put on my running shoes and my headphones and took off.  It was refreshing and energizing. Studies show that exercise increase endorphins which make you feel happy.  You can't be frustrated and happy at the same time.
  3. Rest. Part of my problem was that I was just plain tired.  It had been a busy weekend and I didn't sleep well the night before.  If you're frustrated, maybe you just need to take a day off, sleep more than 7 hours in a night or even take a vacation.  I've found I come back with a completely different perspective on life when I've done this. 
  4. Vent. Not just to anyone, but someone who cares and will listen.  Make sure you have these people in your life.  They can make things so much better.  I also vented to God during my entire run.  Nothing quite like a 40 minute prayer session.  After I finished venting, I took some time to listen, and God had some things to say to me.
  5. Get outside help. As much as I hate to admit it, I don't know everything.  Your problem is never unique.  Somewhere, someone else has probably already solved it.  Don't be afraid to look to trusted resources for help and guidance.  For me, it was a podcast, but it can be a colleague, a blog, a friend, or even your boss. Don't be afraid to ask.
Frustration can be a hard thing not only for you, but everyone else around you.  If you're frustrated, you don't have to stay that way Philippians 4:6-7 says
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
What have you done to beat frustration?  Leave a comment or question below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Volunteer Statements for Your Ministry

When You Feel Like It's Time to Go and What to Do About It

5 Things I Learned Switching from Group VBS to Orange VBS