Love Your Neighbor


You know, a lot of times we get wrapped up in the holidays and forget about what's most important.  I don't know about you, but since I work with kids every week in Church, it's kind of impossible to forget about Jesus.  But let's not take away from what Jesus told us to do.  He told us to love the Lord with every part of us and to love our neighbors as ourselves.

When Jesus was asked who was our neighbor, he told them the story of the Good Samaritan.  He then told the people to go and do likewise.  To be honest, many times this element of the Christmas story is lost on me.  So often, I get so excited about what I'm going to receive, I forget to think about anyone else, especially those less fortunate.

After the Christmas Eve service, a lady came up to me to thank me.  I've seen her before, but didn't know her name or her kids.  She thanked me that we, the church, gave her Christmas.  She had just left the hospital because of Gall bladder complications and did not have time to buy for her two boys.

The Church did.

I don't know if they were on the Giving Tree or if someone gave them a bag of food, but someone from the church came through for that family. They were an answer to prayer.  They brought the love of Christ to that lady and her two kids.

Let's not forget about loving your neighbor.  Let's sacrifice our time, money, and energy for those less fortunate.  Let's be Jesus to our community.  Let's teach it to our kids in words and actions so that when the day comes for them to act on their faith, they will know how.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Volunteer Statements for Your Ministry

When You Feel Like It's Time to Go and What to Do About It

5 Things I Learned Switching from Group VBS to Orange VBS