Tough Questions, Even Harder Answers

Over the past couple of weeks, I've had to deal with some pretty tough questions and attempt to be the spiritual guide in confusing and devastating times.  The first, my senior pastor died of brain cancer two weeks ago, and the second, a three year old girl was diagnosed with incurable brain cancer.

About 16 months ago my senior pastor was diagnosed with brain cancer and during a biopsy had a stroke which left him paralyzed on his left side for the rest of his life.  As a pastor on staff, I had to stand strong for the congregation and present a united front with the rest of the staff.  For over a year we desperately prayed for God to do a miracle, but unfortunately, God chose to heal him in the next life in heaven.

Three days after his funeral, I received a text message that one of our church member's three year old granddaughter has brain cancer that cannot be taken out with surgery and most likely will not be able to receive radiation treatments because it could turn her brain to mush. 

In both situation we are left with questions.  Why did this happen?  Why this person?  What do we do now?  Will God heal them?  Can God heal them?  What do I say?  How do I provide comfort?  How can I help those understand the gravity of the situation? What is going to happen? Are we going to lose them?  What's my role in the coming months? years?

I've dealt with cancer in my own life with my aunt and another three year old close to me in my college days.  Those questions surfaced then, and I have some answers but certainly not all.  The truth is God's ways are mysterious (Isaiah 55:8-9).  We cannot and will not understand all the things he does.  There are some he will heal and show his glory and there are others that we lose, we feel, far too soon.  God's ways are perfect (Psalm 18:30), and there is always a reason; we just may not be privy to that reason.  God loves us and can do anything.  He can heal anyone because he is all powerful ( Jeremiah 32:17).  God also can and will provide wisdom (James 1:5).  In even the toughest times God will help us now what to say and at the right time all we have to do is ask.  Finally, we need comfort in these trying times.  Jesus knew this and addressed this in his Sermon on the Mount.  "He said God blesses those who mourn, for they will be comforted."  (Matthew 5:4).  He will provide us comfort.  He will give us assurance that in the end everything will be okay.  In life we have to face death of our loved ones.  It is part of it.  Jesus knew this personally when his best friend Lazarus died.  The Bible says "Jesus wept" (John 11:35) He knows our pain.  He knows our questions.  He knows what is going to happen (Psalm 44:21).

In all these questions and pain, God has given me this one assurance.  I will see them again.  He has promised that those who accept Jesus as their savior will go to heaven to be with Him for all eternity (John 3:16).  We will see our loved ones again in heaven, and what a glorious, wonderful day that will be!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Volunteer Statements for Your Ministry

When You Feel Like It's Time to Go and What to Do About It

5 Things I Learned Switching from Group VBS to Orange VBS