The Pursuit of Holiness

Recently I read an article in Relevant Magazine titled "Why Doesn't Anybody Talk about Sin Anymore?"  I was intrigued, and unexpectedly found a deep gaping whole in my Christian walk. 

In Leviticus, God commands us to "Be holy because He is holy."  I know this verse; I memorized it years ago, but I forgot what it means for my life.  The article talks about how my generation is so wrapped up in God's grace that sometimes we fall into the trap of believing we can get away with anything because His grace is sufficient.  However there is so much more to following Christ than just leaning on his grace. 

When we become saved, we receive and begin what is called sanctification, which is a fancy word for becoming more like Christ.  I say we receive and begin because sanctification has two facets.  The first is instantaneous sanctification or justification and the other is just sanctification.  Justification is a legal term stating that we are no longer held guilty in God's eyes for the sin we have committed, are committing, and will commit.  This is God's grace.  We have no problems here.  However simply relying on justification can lead us down the dangerous path of living in sin and asking for and trusting for forgiveness afterwards.  Sanctification is where the rubber meets the road.

Sanctification is the ongoing process of us becoming like Christ, and since Christ is holy, we are to become holy not by ourselves but with the help of the Holy Spirit.  "Be holy as I am holy." 

I, like so many others, have forgotten this.  I have been living my life praying, reading my Bible, fasting, serving, ministering, growing, but have I been pursuing holiness? Or have I simply been doing what every "good Christian" should. 

I was awake at 2 am this morning thinking about "Be holy because I am holy,"  and just couldn't get it out of my mind.  Finally, I realized that there are certain changes that I need to make in my life.  I put myself in tempting situations and assure myself that God's grace covers all.  If I am to become holy, I must do as David did in the Bible when approached by Potiphar's wife and run like the dickens.

So are you pursuing holiness?  Or are you content with the surface relationship with the Almighty God and rest only in his grace?  I hope and pray that you pursue holiness.  There is so much more to God and this life that is more rewarding than any sin we voluntarily put ourselves in. 

I think God said it best when he said "Be holy because I am holy."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Volunteer Statements for Your Ministry

When You Feel Like It's Time to Go and What to Do About It

5 Things I Learned Switching from Group VBS to Orange VBS