Building the Team

A very important part of VBS is the team you're working with.  It is impossible to have a successful VBS without an incredible group of people working around you.  These people bring creativity, ideas, skills, and resources that you could never have imagined. 

Sometimes getting people on the team is all about putting them in the right place.  Jim Collins talks about this concept in Good to Great.  He says that building a team is like getting people on a bus.  You may have the right people, but you must get them in the right seat as well.

I am reminded of how this concept worked for me.  I had one volunteer who is an incredible organizer, but is also good at crafts.  I originally wanted her to work in crafts, but because of outside circumstances became a regular crew leader.  The next year she said that she would not like to be a crew leader again.  I was worried that I might lose an incredible volunteer so I asked her what she would like to do.  She said that she did not like how materials were organized and how the station leaders seemed to not know what they needed or where things were.  So I offered for her to help me with this daunting task.  As a result she was an incredible asset working extra hours, organizing, communicating with station leaders, and much much more.  Because of her hard work the next year's VBS was much better from a materials stand point.  She needed to be on the bus; I just had to get her in the right seat.

When building your team, think about people's strengths.  Ask yourself who would be great at this?  I stress in my volunteer drives that we can always find a place for them.  It all depends on their strengths.  If you are having trouble finding people to fill your slots, don't be afraid to ask other people what they think.  You would be surprised.  Finally don't be afraid to ask.  I cannot tell you how many people were so excited to help only because I asked. 

Find the team, invest in the team, put the individuals where they fit best, and provide the tools they need to be successful.  You will be surprised how many people will jump at the opportunity to help you year after year.

Comments

  1. i'm always astounded at the team you put together for vbs. i look at them as a whole and i wonder where all these people came from. i look at the individuals and say, 'oh yeah, i know them. i see them all the time.' i just never see them all together in the same place. you make it easy to be on the team and i hope to have the opportunity to serve again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Volunteer Statements for Your Ministry

When You Feel Like It's Time to Go and What to Do About It

5 Things I Learned Switching from Group VBS to Orange VBS